Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Chorus Line Review

Back in 1975 (Gerald Ford was President) when it opened on Broadway, A Chorus Line was a sensation. It was the dancers' anthem. However when I saw it at the MSU University Auditorium sometime in the late 70s I was disappointed. No sets to speak of, no relationships between people, no costume changes. What was all the fuss about?

Last night began a week-long run of the national company of the 2006 arrival and I saw much more in it that I did back then. Maybe I'm older and wiser and maybe I know the music better, but I found the show to be full of moving personal stories and pathos.

Yes, the show is still unique - surely a singular sensation. The well-known story is about a stage full of dancers auditioning for a Broadway show. They are quickly winnowed down to 24. During the screening process, the director proceeds to ask them to share stories about themselves.

The director is unseen, but we hear his voice asking questions to the quivering candidates. It is fascinating how his character is developed and how important he is to the story, although we very rarely see him.

Each would-be dancer tells why dancing and performing is crucial to his or her life. The stories are compelling and real, the lighting is dramatic, and the other dancers act as props, scenery and audience.

The show speaks to all of us. When the characters cry "Oh God, I need this job", and "Who am I? Am I my resume?" we think of all the millions of American looking for work.

Although the cast is largely young and inexperienced , they are all passionate about the show and their characters. On opening night, the sound was very amateurish. The pit band (backstage) was not mixed well, often blanketing the voices, which appeared thin and unsupported.

It was a two hour, no intermission production which was good. The story and the great music (Marvin Hamlisch) grabs you and the evening is over before you know it.

Some standouts were Selina Verastigui who stopped the show with "What I Did For Love" and "At the Ballet"; Andy Mills for everyone's favorite "I Can Do That" and Derek Hanson as the driven but sensitive director, Zach.

Rebecca Riker who plays the fallen showgirl, Cassie lacked the edge the character needed. In Chorus Line terms I'd give her a Voice: 9, Dance: 3. In her memorable solo piece, her dance is meant to project what a superstar she is on the stage - one who can never be in a chorus line. Instead, it lacked energy, excitement and star quality.

Yes, this 30-year old show has some elements of "datedness", but over all it remains a real and dramatic window into the world of dancers (or actors or musicians or accountants) in trying to find a place for themselves in the adult world.

2 comments:

GreenScript said...

Nice review, Ken. I thought the actress who played Val (?) and sang the "tits and ass" song did a terrific job. She looks a bit like Rene Zellweger.

Kate said...

Ken-- I really liked your review and I see we agreed on Cassie and the orchestra. I liked your comments about Zach. If I'd had more space I would have made similar comments.